Sunday, July 17, 2011

8th Grade Reading Projects

Project Update: I am continuing to learn about the ways of blogging so I can use it with my 8th grade language arts class this coming fall.  I’ve found a couple TeacherTube videos to use as introductions to the blogging activity. General blogging formation:
Classroom Blogging Introduction (kind of boring, but I could easily make an xtranormal video out of the important information in it!):

I would like to create blogging expectations with my students, so they take ownership and personal responsibility when working with their blog.  In addition to blogging, I plan to have students work on creating a bookshelf on GoodReads.com. I haven’t, but I will continue to work on updating my bookshelf along the way.

For my second project, I’ve recently received the updated reading competencies I will be working with this next year.  One, in particular is: Analyze characters and their motivation. Prior to assigning this project, the students would have had instruction and practice on identifying different types of characters, such as protagonist, stock, dynamic, etc.

After reading their chosen independent novel, students will be asked to create a presentation about the main character (or one of the main characters) using one of the following internet resources:

  •  Xtranormal: virtual world video presentation
  • Blabberize: take a picture and make it talk
  • Voki: customize an avatar and make it talk
  •  GoAnimate: another virtual world video presentation
  • MyFakeWall: creating a fake Facebook account
  •   Prezi: Presentation software; basically an enhanced powerpoint in which students can zoom in, out, and around the presentation
  • Animoto: video slide show maker
  • I’m open to other options; please share your ideas with me!

When providing instruction/directions for the project, I would also provide a checklist of questions/items that need to be addressed in the presentation that includes things like:
           
ü      Book Title, Author, and chosen character name
ü      Type of Character
ü      Background information: age, gender, location, etc
ü      What is the significance of the character in the book?
ü      What interior and exterior factors shape each character?
ü      What motivates the character to act the way they do?
ü      How does the character interact with other characters?
ü      How did the author make the character believable? How could a reader connect with the character?

Etc…this is just a start. I would have to re-evaluate my questions based on student prior knowledge and differentiate with different book choices and student readiness.

Any suggestions are welcome!

1 comment:

  1. Not sure why my font changes half way through my blog?!? Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete